This Colt M1911 was shipped on September 1912 in a 500 gun shipment to the Commanding Officer, Springfield Armory. This pistol maintains it's original blue finish and 15-row checkered walnut grips. The early style slide with the rampant colt inside the circle. Note the early Feb.14.1911 patent date is the last on the roll mark. This would change around serial number 83,856 to add the last patent date which reads as Aug.19.1913.
The right side of the slide uses a Roman style font with serif's. The rear sight is the early style being rounded. This would change in the future to a flat top rear sight around serial number 60,000. The barrel is an early Colt stamped with an horizontal H with serifs on the hood.
The frame features the serial number on the right side dust cover. Later the serial number would move towards the back closer to the grip. The magazine catch release screw is a rare 2nd type only used from serial numbers 3190~6500.
The hammer is the early short Colt that were used from the first of production until roughly serial number 89,800. The thumb safety is the earliest version as well that was used up until 1914.
This pistol is inspected by Major Walter G. Penfield (WGP) just above the magazine release on the left hand side of the frame. Major Penfield was the inspector of ordnance from January 2nd, 1911 - September 30th, 1914.