This Colt 1908 pocket hammerless is also known as an "M" Marked 1908. The "M" prefix is addressed in the remarks of the Colt Archival letter. It reads: "As noted above, subject pistol was originally shipped from the factory without the "M" prefix. However, from notations in our records and information supplied by independent researchers, we have determined that around December of 1944 a number of these automatics were returned to Colt's for rework. It was at this time that the "M" prefix was added.
This particular pistol was shipped to the Officer in Charge at the Naval Supply Depot in Norfolk, VA on October 10th, 1944 in a 150 gun shipment.