This Colt .38 Super was Sold to Herm W. Glasser of Zurich, Switzerland. It was Shipped to Fabrique National De Arms in Belgium on March 2nd, 1937. It shows the date of manufacture of February 22nd, 1937. It was shipped in a single gun shipment.
This Colt has a modified ramped front sight that mimic's the sights that were commonly found on the later M1911A1's. There is also an import mark on the magwell when this pistol was imported into the US.
Herm W. Glaser or "Walter Glaser" took over the J Knecht Gunshpo at Zurich in 1906. The shop had been operating since 1866. From 1914 W Glaser was authorized by the (EIDGENOSSISCHES MUNITIONS DEPOT) to carry out repairs of Military weapons. In the 1930’s Glaser commercially reloaded ex M+FA 10.3x60R (SW11) with the hs milled off the cases.
Around 1943-1945 Waffen Glaser produced 8x75S (M75) from RWS rimmed 8x75RS cartridges by removing the rim and machining a groove into the case. The ammunition came from the Government ammunition depot in Thun, as each import into Switzerland was blocked by the ammunition monopoly of the Swiss State until the 60s. The boxes had the “R” crossed out and were sealed with Glaser’s own label.
In 1965 the shop's name changed to GLASER WAFFEN AG (still located Zurich). In 1984 it was taken over by W. Schneebeli and became Glaser Handels AG which was taken over by Ruag in 2015. However, W.Glaser Waffen AG still exists as of 2021, dealing mainly in handguns.