This Colt Detective Special was shipped to the Property Officer, Supply Division of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) at the Fowler Building, in Roslyn, Virginia on June 14th, 1944 in a 290 gun shipment. This was on Colt Factory Order #4621.
The Office of Strategic Services (OSS) was a wartime intelligence agency of the United States during WWII. It consisted of 2 major groups, the Wartime Spy Agency and the Commandos. Eventually, after the war it was separated into two different groups. The CIA and the Army Special Forces.