This Colt M1911 was one of 1,000 pistols shipped on July 9th, 1915 to the Commanding Officer at Springfield Armory. It features Colt's fine brushed blue finish with dark blue small parts.
This M1911 has a presentation engraving on the bottom side of the dust cover in the flowing Palmer script and reads: "F.A.S. to E.E.P". This engraving work was done outside of the Colt factory at some point and the two parties listed are unknown at the time of this writing.
This particular pistol is marked with the cartouche of "GHS" for Major Gilbert H. Stewart. Major Stewart was the inspector of ordnance from September 30th, 1914 to January 12th, 1918. His inspectors initials are on M1911's from Serial Number range 101,500-230,000 and M1917 revolvers ranging from 1-30,000.