This Colt 1911 was originally Sold to the United States Government. It was shipped October 12th, 1916 to the United States Marine Corps, Depot Quartermaster in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on October 12th, 1916 in a 200 gun shipment.
This Colt was inspector by Major Gilbert H. Stewart (GHS). Major Steward was the Inspector of Ordnance from September 30th 1914 - January 12th, 1918.
The slide on this pistol is marked with an "S" for W.E. Strong above the rear firing pin stop plate. It is also marked with an "S" on the top of the frame alongside the disconnector hole. He was a temporary Civilian Ordnance Inspector at Colt from August 14th - October 13th 1916.