This Colt Model 1905 "Contract of 1907" was shipped to the Springfield Armory on March 17th, 1908 in a 200 gun shipment. The cost for each of these pistols at the time was $25.00. From there the shipment of 200 guns was sent out to 3 various units for field testing.
Colt Modified the 1905 pistol from the feedback that was received from the 1907 pistol and revolver trials. As noted on the factory letter the following special features were built into these 200 pistols: Modified hammer, nearly vertical ejection, auto indicator to show that the chamber is loaded, auto safety, straightened stirrup, lengthened trigger stirrup pin, clip type magazine release at the rear of the butt, and lanyard loop on left side of butt below grip.
The pistol is finished in Colt's high polish blue where some of the small parts still retain the fire blue finish. The walnut grips were hand checkered as was the grip safety and hammer.
On the left side trigger guard you will see the initials "KM". These initials are for Major Kenneth Morton, the U.S. inspector of Colt model 1905 .45 pistols during the period of 1907-1908.